Wednesday, January 18, 2012

rules to using window light



Winter is tough for the photography world.  It's freezing & dull outside.  This tutorial will teach you how to capture a stunning image inside with window light.  The first rule is to pick a time of day when the sun in not directly coming into the windows.


Below are the 3 rules to placing your subject in relation to the window...


Rule #1: Place your subject on the same level as your light.  I used a table to lift the sweet baby off the ground and level with the window light.

Rule #2:  Place your subject close to the window.  You will be surprised how much difference the light will be just 1 or 2 feet away.  

Rule #3:  Be sure to have lots of window between you and your subject.  This will create a softer light than if you have very little window between you and your subject.  (I did end up pulling that curtain all the way back and out of my light.)
 
Here are some more images I captured...




Happy Snapping!!

This is just one of the tips you'll learn during my workshop.  I offer workshop in Salt Lake and
online.

 Just a few of the things you'll learn:
-Shooting in Manual Mode
-Perfect Lighting Every time
-My Favorite Poses
-The Magic of Photoshop
  
Photo By Emilie Workshops:

My next Salt Lake Workshop is Saturday, March 3rd.

7 comments:

  1. what a little beauty queen!! wonderful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi. Love seeing cute positive comments!! Makes writing these posts all worth it.

      Delete
  2. Love these! Look at you -- all rearranging your house so you can get the perfect light, for the perfect photos! :) They turned out lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Nothing like a positive comment to keep me going!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kristina, It's all preference. I love the texture.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE all your photos Emilie and you little one is sure adorable!! Thanks for all these tips, I really love reading about them and trying them out with my little one. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete