Sunday, November 27, 2011

Santa Pix with no Santa




All you need is a...

-Santa Hat (I found mine in the $1 bin at Target)
-Scissors
-White Glove
-Fabric for a backdrop (I used black fabric but you can use anything you have around)
-Reflector (I'll talk more about this later in the post)

Cut a hole big enough for your hand to fit through
The perfect spot to shoot is next to an open door.  You'll notice a couple of things...

1.  Notice I just draped the backdrop over the open door.
2.  Notice that my Santa hand person was not blocking the light coming in the door. 
3.  Notice there is no direct sun coming through the door just indirect light.

Here's the image I captured...

The next images I played with a reflector as fill light.  (Fill light is the light that diminishes the shadows cast by the main light.)  The open door will light my subject bright on one side and leave a shadow on the other side of her face.  Sometime this look is desired.  A strong light and dark side makes for a more dramatic image.  When you diminish the shadows by using fill light it creates a more soft image.


Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!

If you enjoyed this tip and love learning about photography and lighting then you must check out the Photo By Emilie Workshops.  I offers workshops in Salt Lake and ONLINE!!  I am giving you a discount of $25 off until Christmas.

Discount Code "perfectgift"

12 comments:

  1. Oh my- these are the cutest little pictures I've seen in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! I love it. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In total love! Thanks so much for the wonderful & unique idea. We paid $20 to santa for our 11 month old & they didn't get one good shot in, and he was so scared. This is great for the young ones. Happy Holidays to you & yours this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the difference the reflector made. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH a great idea! I grabbed a Santa hat and white gloves at Wally World this afternoon to try to recreate your idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I can't believe no one has posted a comment yet; in a word, you are BRILLIANT! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! that is a great idea. Thank you for this I love your blog and your photo ideas. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome idea! I can finally get a santa picture with my kids smiling now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow fantastic I'm an amature but you make it seem like this is something I too can try! and will I'm collecting all my materials now so when my grandbaby comes I'm ready

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an AMAZING idea!!! So easy and simple!

    ReplyDelete